15107287_10154873699504208_4292005029933000403_n Ballabeg Smithy.
15230717_10154873698459208_4514298958813033051_n Duck Street Corner, Ballabeg.
15181412_10154873700534208_5609679634641469250_n Approach to Ballabeg from Ballanorris.
15179151_10154873700134208_57018752036705838_n Ballabeg before Parish Hall built.


Welcome to the Arbory Parish Commissioners Website.

Privacy Policy

Arbory Parish Commissioners’ Privacy Policy

The Clerk to Arbory Parish Commissioners is the data controller for any personal data you provide. The information you provide will only be used to respond to your query or deal with your complaint and will be retained in accordance with our retention policy.

Personal information
In order to use many of our services or ask for our assistance, you will be required to submit some personal information, such as your name, your address, your postcode, email address or phone number.

We have a legal duty to ensure that our processes are fair and that we keep your personal data safe and secure, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2002. We do not share your personal information with anybody else without your knowledge unless we are required by law to do so.

We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as it is needed for the service you have requested and remove it in the event that the purpose has been met.

Disclosure of personal information
In many circumstances we will not disclose personal data without consent. However, when we undertake certain work to improve the Parish, for example, we may need to share personal information with our contractors and with other relevant public authorities.

Access to personal information
The Arbory Parish Commissioners try to be as open as possible in giving people access to their personal information. Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by making a ‘subject access request’ under the Data Protection Act. If we do hold information about you, we will:

  • give you a description of it;
    • tell you why we are holding it;
    • tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
    • let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.

To make a request you need to put the request in writing to the Clerk, Arbory Parish Commissioners, Lamode, Ballakillowey Road, Rushen IM9 4BP.

If you agree, we will try to deal with your request informally, for example by providing you with the specific information you need over the telephone. If we do hold information about you, you can ask us to correct any mistakes by, once again, contacting us.

Complaints or queries
Arbory Parish Commissioners aim to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal information. For this reason, we take any complaints we receive about this very seriously. We encourage people to bring it to our attention if they think that our collection or use of information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate. We would also welcome any suggestions for improving our procedures.

This privacy notice was drafted with brevity and clarity in mind. It does not provide exhaustive detail of all aspects of the Commissioners’ collection and use of personal information. However, we are happy to provide any additional information or explanation needed. Any requests for this should be sent to the Clerk, Arbory Parish Commissioners, Lamode, Ballakillowey Road, Rushen IM9 4BP.


Links to other websites
This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit.

Isle of Man Public Record Office
Your personal data may be permanently retained for research use at the Isle of Man Public Record Office if the records containing your personal data are selected for permanent preservation under the Public Records Act 1999. The Isle of Man Public Record Office preserves records of Isle of Man public authorities that are of long-term historic and cultural value.

Access to and use of records at the Isle of Man Public Record Office is governed by legislation, in particular the Public Records Act 1999, the Public Records Order 2015 and the Freedom of Information Act 2015.

Some records are made available to the public for research use, whilst others are covered by access restrictions to ensure sensitive information that should be confidential for a period of time is protected. Where your personal data is included in records transferred to the Record Office, an assessment will be made of whether the records should be covered by an access restriction based on this legislation. Access restrictions will be applied to records as appropriate under this legislation to prevent unlawful access to your personal data. Your personal data will not be used by the Isle of Man Public Record Office for any automated decision making.

The Isle of Man Public Record Office is part of the Department for Enterprise and can be contacted at: public.records@gov.im, or Unit 40A Spring Valley Industrial Estate, Braddan, Isle of Man, IM2 2QS. The Department for Enterprise Data Protection Officer can be contacted by e-mail at: DPO- DfE@gov.im

Changes to this privacy notice
We keep our privacy notice under regular review. This privacy notice was last updated on 16th May 2018.

Complaints Procedure

Arbory & Rushen Parish Commissioners

Barrantee Skeeraghyn Chairbre as Rosien


Complaints Procedure


A Complaint is defined as :


an expression of dissatisfaction, however made, about the standard of service, actions or lack of action by the Arbory and Rushen Parish Commissioners or its staff affecting an individual ratepayer of group of ratepayers.


Arbory and Rushen Parish Commissioners will investigate and settle any complaints received, wherever possible. Therefore, the Commissioners maintain the following systems for dealing with complaints.


The principal test of the effectiveness of a complaints system is whether it helps to resolve the dissatisfaction of ratepayers or customers about the service they have received or believe they should have received. An efficient system will also highlight any processes which need reviewing or updating thereby improving services.


In cases where the complainant is dissatisfied with the Commissioners’ handling of their complaint, the complainant is entitled to raise the matter further with the Tynwald Commissioner for Administration who can be contacted by e-mail:  ombudsman@parliament.org.im or via the Clerk of Tynwald’s Office, Legislative Buildings, Douglas.


Complaints received will be entered in a Register of Complaints.


Complaints may be either oral or written. Of course, not all communications with a dissatisfied customer will necessarily involve the making of a complaint. For example a customer may have a concern which can be easily resolved without the need to make a formal complaint. Similarly there are some complaints which do not warrant a record being taken:-


  • A complaint about a matter outside the competence of the authority;
  • A complaint where the complainant is not involved in the matter forming the subject of the complaint or has no direct interest therein;
  • A complaint about a failure of service which is rectified within a reasonable timescale (e.g. failure of water or electricity supply).


A complaint is not a request for a service (e.g. housing repairs) or for information. However, a complaint could arise if the Commissioners failed to act adequately on such a request, or to communicate information which had been requested.


It is important to stress that a complaint must relate to some act or omission by the Commissioners, not any other outside agency. For example a letter complaining about the behaviour of neighbours would not constitute a complain within this procedure. However, a letter complaining that the Commissioners had failed to act adequately in this situation would be defined as a complaint.


If the complaint involves racial, sexual or equal opportunity discrimination then that should be referred immediately to the Clerk.


In some cases it will remain a matter of judgement whether a complaint is being made. During the course of day to day contact with the public there will always be an exchange of views and comments and a common-sense approach must be taken in deciding whether a formal complaint is being made.

The Complaints Procedure exists to ensure a prompt investigation and resolution of genuine complaints, and to provide a mechanism for ratepayers or others using services provided by the Commissioners to make known their grievances.


Complaints may be categorised into Levels 1 to 3 in order of seriousness i.e. Level 1 – serious in nature; Level 2 – complaints that require an individual response; Level 3 those defined as standard complaints.


Who can complain?


Any ratepayer, member of the public, organisation or company who receives a service from the Commissioners.


A separate procedure is in place for complaints made via an elected member.


Form of complaints

A Complaint may be made either verbally, in writing, or electronically. The complaint might not be specifically flagged and may be disguised in more lengthy correspondence. All complaints received shall be recorded.


Receipt of Complaints

In the case of an oral complaint this should be made to the person dealing with the enquiry, who should be asked to make a record of it. This will then be passed to the Clerk who will undertake an investigation.


If an oral complaint is being made about the member of staff dealing with the enquiry, a request should be made to speak to another person, who will make a record of the complaint. If there is no immediately identifiable person this should not be a reason to refuse or delay a complaint.


All written complaints should be addressed to the Clerk.



The complaint should be acknowledged within seven working days and recorded in the Commissioners‘ Complaints Register.


The Commissioners should attempt to send the complainant a substantive response within 14 working days of receiving the complaint. A substantive response is one which conveys the investigating officer‘s decision on the complaint.


It will not always be possible to meet this timescale, and in such cases the complainant should be advised of the situation within 10 working days, giving an explanation for the delay and an indication of when a substantive response can be expected.


It should be an objective to resolve all complaints within 20 working days.


The timescale of 10-20 working days may be extended for complaints which are referred to an Independent Arbitrator, but the complainant needs to be informed of the extension.


Right of Review

The Commissioners have a mechanism in place for any complainant who is dissatisfied with the decision on their complaint. In such cases a Complainant may take the matter up with the Chair of the Commissioners, the Department of Infrastructure or the Tynwald Commissioner for Administration.


The Commissioners, primarily through their websites, make their members, officers and ratepayers aware of this complaints procedure and the public aware of to whom any complaints should be addressed.


The Department of Infrastructure has power to make inquiries into the manner in which any functions of a local authority are carried out by the authority, thereby providing a further mechanism for the investigation and resolution of complaints.